[RFI] Local RFI...

Lloyd - N9LB lloydberg at charter.net
Mon Sep 5 16:30:48 EDT 2016

Hi Ken!

The ARRL has a wealth of information regarding RFI issues with "arc-fault
interrupter" breakers, some brands are very bad, others not much of a
problem.  Some manufacturers will replace breakers that trip on RF.  Look at
the ARRL website or contact them directly for more information.  ( My house
is old enough that I don't have those things! )

As to RF getting into (or out of) things, yes, I know exactly what you are
experiencing.  I had to put clip-on ferrites on almost everything in my
shack including the FLEX-5000 rig, linear, audio amp, key, PTT and mic
cables.  Also on my computer and on my XYL's computer cables.   Sounds like
a lot, but actually only around $100 worth of materials.

I also have all shack chassis ( including the PC ) connected to a common
copper ground strap that goes directly outside to a "ground ring" all around
the outside of my house ( buried about 8-12 inches below the surface ),
ground rods at every corner and bonded to the "utility" ground rod and
copper plumbing. Those materials ( copper strap, copper ground wire, clamps,
and ground rods ) cost under $200.

My FLEX rig and computer used to lock up even when running 100 watts, I can
now run 1.5 KW and no problems.  Also it seems like the background noise is
much lower than it originally was.

73

Lloyd - N9LB