[RFI] Noise - where do I start?

Frank N. Haas KB4T utility.rfi.pro at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 11:03:32 EDT 2016

All this speculation just muddies the water. Keep an open mind. Don't
assume anything yet because you simply don't know yet if the problem is in
a privately owned structure or a utility problem.

Until you do some searching you don't know enough yet.

I'm on the road and can't type beyond my phone's keyboard.

For now, keep a log of episodes. Try to figure out when the interference
occurs. If it has a pattern, equip yourself with a battery operated
receiver with a signal strength indicator. At a time when an episode is
likely, listen in AM MODE, not SSB on and above the affected frequencies.
Walk around your neighborhood noting increases in signal strength.

Don't hear it walking? Try driving a wider area.

Keep notes. Plot likely spots. Listen higher in frequency if you do hear
it. If you can hear it in AM MODE at VHF get a yagi and try to pinpoint.
That will tell you if your problem is utility or private.

Wife giving me the "let's get driving" signal.

Ignore the speculation. Keep an open mind. Search with equipment not eyes
or guesses.

Good luck.

Frank N Haas KB4T
Utility Interference Investigator