[RFI] Multiple sources - Coping with a fact of life

Dave Cole dave at nk7z.net
Mon Sep 26 10:02:40 EDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-09-26 at 09:49 -0400, Frank N. Haas KB4T wrote:
> Listening, carefully, is the easiest way to determine how many sources
> are affecting your receiver. Take notes about:
>
> 1.  Signal strength
> 2.  Highest frequency at which each source can be heard
> 3.  A simple description of each source's character
> 4.  Any other descriptive data
> 5.  Brief notes about weather conditions

This is what you are up against:

http://nk7z.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/090616-80.png

Note the MANY different sources.  You are seeing all of 80 meters at
once, across 24 hours...  I found this spectrogram very enlightening...

There are at least six different RFI sources visible, some of them all
over the band at once...

--
73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)