[RFI] Station grounds

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Sep 28 12:38:03 EDT 2016

On Wed,9/28/2016 9:21 AM, Kenneth G. Gordon wrote:
> I thought it was against the NEC for a ham station's ground system which would use, say,
> four 8' ground rods, separated by 6 to 8 feet from one another, and all tied together with at
> least #10 solid wire, MUST be separate from the electrical panel ground system and not
> connected to it.

Absolutely wrong. The above idea is widely held by some high futility
audio types as a means of preventing hum, buzz, and RFI, but I've never
seen it carried over to ham radio.  It is VERY unsafe, and is a
violation of NEC.

> Yet I read on W8JI's site and on K9YC's PDF that all such ground systems MUST be tied
> together.

Virtually all electrical codes in North America require that ALL grounds
be bonded together.  FWIW, until I retired a few years ago, I taught
this material in 3-hour workshops at annual conventions of the sound and
video contractors who install systems in large and small buildings all
over North America.  You can find the text material and Power Point
slides in the Audio section of my website.

73, Jim K9YC