[RFI] led bulbs?

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 11:22:06 EDT 2016

The only problems I have had with the 120 volt LED bulbs (that are
dimmable) so far have not been with the bulbs, but rather with the dimmers
(dimmers designed for LED bulbs).  So far the two different dimmers from
two different manufacturers that I have tried have both generated RFI (RFI
worst when not at full output), and their RFI characteristics were not the
same as each other (example : one was worst in the AM broadcast band, while
the other one was worst on 160 meters, etc.).

I have yet run into any 120 volt LED bulbs that have cause me interference
(dimmable or not).

Thankfully my trusty old Kenwood TS-180s noise blanker kills the RFI that
my LED dimmer generates (makes the RFI disappear) when operating on 160
meters.

Don (wd8dsb)