[RFI] Update 9/30/16 Solar Panel RFI @ K2MO

thoyer thoyer1 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 30 20:32:31 EDT 2016

I don't think you can place any blame on the installer if he is installing
equipment that generates noise based on how it was manufactured or designed.
In my opinion this is a manufacturer issue, not an installer issue. Unless
the manufacturer can prove that their product is quiet and the source of the
noise is a faulty installation - or the installer did not follow the
recommended instructions.

Case and point - we maufactured a data acquisition unit for use in general
aviation aircraft. Designed it to pass EMI requirements and supplied the
aircraft manufacturer with specific installation instructions. After they
installed several hundred they found out that on a specific radio channel
they could hear our processor clock. Company called us insisting we need to
replace the units immediately. After some back and forth it turns out they
did not install it using shielded wire which was specifically called out in
our installation instructions. Bottom line the onus was on them to rewire
their aircraft. Once they did, all was quiet.

Tom
W3TA