[RFI] Generac Load-Shedder RFI

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Sat Apr 22 10:19:39 EDT 2017

We recently installed a whole-house auto-start Generac generator at our
house. Since the generator can't handle all of our 220 volt machines
simultaneously, in the unlikely event they all were on while running on
the generator, there are 4 load-shedding modules that will dump loads as
needed to keep within ratings.

I have just discovered that 2 of the 4 load shedders are radiating a
tremendous amount of RF.  At 136 MHz AM they pin the s-meter on my
handi-talkie from 10 feet away, so you can imagine the HF bands!

Has anyone had any experience dealing with Generac on RFI?  Might I be
so lucky that you even know of a specific contact?

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network