[RFI] Is My Radio Possessed?

N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Tue Aug 15 10:32:24 EDT 2017

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

Looking for an explanation for a weird experience I recently had, which
*may* fall in the category of RFI.

I was tuning my K3 across 40M CW during theWAE CW contest, while at the
same time watching the band using HDSDR with my QS1R, which was also
running CWSL_Tee and both CW and RTTY Skimservs.  The QS1R's antenna was
being split off the K3's external antenna loop.

I noticed on the HDSDR waterfall what looked like SSB signals, way down
in 40 CW (one even below the band edge). Curious, I tuned several of
them in on HDSDR. All were obviously hams, and I inferred from what they
said that they were on 40 phone.  Even weirder, the signals were on
upper sideband!

After a few minutes of this, I shut down both Skimservs and turned my
attention back to the contest.  When I returned a few minutes later,
HDSDR showed NO SSB signals at all down in the CW band, even with the
two Skimservs restarted. It has not recurred.