[RFI] "No RFI" LED bulbs

Ken Winterling wa2lbi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 19:08:20 EDT 2017

Gary,

I originally switched to fluorescent bulbs in my opener due to premature
failure of incandescents caused by vibration.  I now use "daylight" LEDs.
I am fortunate that neither type bulb has caused a problem with the
opener.  Also, using fluorescents or LEDs allows you to use a larger
equivalent wattage bulb for much more light since it produces less heat
than an incandescent.

I have also heard some reports that the fluorescent or LED bulbs in an
opener can cause trouble with electric car door locks.  Some folks had
difficulty locking/unlocking their car doors while the opener lights were
lit.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 18:54 GaryK9GS <garyk9gs at wi.rr.com> wrote:

> I suspect that a LED lightbulb is preferred over incandescent due to the
> high vibration present.
>

> 73,
> Gary K9GS
> -------- Original message --------From: "Chris L. Parker" <
> parker601 at earthlink.net> Date: 8/15/17  5:04 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: RFI List
> <rfi at contesting.com> Subject: [RFI]  "No RFI" LED bulbs
> Greetings,
>
> An RFI free LED bulb is a very welcomed product for any ham.  But maybe
> someone much smarter than me can explain why a Genie garage door opener
> would need one. I'm pretty sure my garage door opener receives the "open
> door" command from the RF remote and then raises the door and turns on the
> light.  I think the light is unpowered until after the open command is
> received.  Are they concerned about RX interference to subsequent commands
> after the bulb is on?
>
> Chris
> AF6PX

Ken