[RFI] FIOS vs DSL

myles Landstein myles.landstein at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 20:08:05 EST 2017

fios is a trademark from verizon, means fiber to either the prem or inside the prem. verizon is by far not the only company providing services over fiber.  mostly marketing hype

comcast is by far not ‘cable only’  , comcast has over the years upgraded most of its outside plant to fiber and exists as a hybrid over fiber plant. (HFC hybrid fiber coax).  in larger new developments for example the run fiber  to the door  older areas have not all been upgraded  and there isn’t a super push to ’nationwide’ upgrade.  verizon had  a giant dollar  push to upgrade their outside plant to fiber, for tons of reasons again google is your friend if you wish to know the history.

far as ‘lost’ cables, yeah,  nearly all providers suffer from that,  service that was run along time ago typically was known only by the guy that ran it, and his file cabinet, when he left   they typically toss the files  so makes finding the cables hard, they usually pay a cable id firm to go find it or run new.  oddly enough   even newer  more recently run services  also get ‘lost’  various reasons, it happens  but overall  most are well documents  very small % gets truly lost,  :)

charter by far prob lost the most  stuff in the field   as each operating unit was like an island to itself, and most was done ad hoc  style  good luck if someone asks you for a  cable map  easier to find a unicorn

no worries lots of false advertising, or misleading advertising out there  always good  to ask around here  get help and tips from fellow hams

lucky for you , your in an area  with some competition,   not sure  that comcast was in long island thou??     For LI  i’d recomend cablevision first  and fios/verizon second   all have  pro’s n con’s   just my 2cents

best of luck

myles Landstein
myles.landstein at gmail.com