[RFI] Any RFI issues with Amana AMVC96 Furnace?

Dave Cole dave at nk7z.net
Sun Jul 9 15:20:47 EDT 2017

Respectfully-- my noise level is low enough now that I can use it as a
standard.  I now have about an S2 background RFI noise on 40, and most
nights atmospherics are much worse, so I almost never hear RFI anymore,
at least on 40.

I felt that holding the vendor to a standard beyond that of my being
able to detect at the radio would not be fair, so I based my install
contract RFI threshold on what I could hear, not a limit that the vendor
may never be able to meet, and is of no difference to me, if I can't
hear it.  So in other words, if my RFI background noise level is
acceptable, (and S2 is), then if I can't hear the heater RFI, it does
not exist for me, at that time.

Try and explain, (or put into writing), the need to meet sets of levels
arbitrarily picked for each band, across such and such a bandwidth, by a
customer for the subject heating unit, and no manufacturer will stick by
your tests, unless you happen to be a certified lab, and they happen to
agree with your limits.

If you do this, you will find yourself with no installer willing to go
the extra mile, and no vendor willing to back the installer up.

If on the other hand you put it in terms the installer understands,
using things he/she can hear, then you stand a lot better chance of
getting your RFI dealt with, and having a positive outcome from a new
heater install.

So just setting a limit to things, and saying this has to meet that
limit is not always the way to go...  YMMV.

73s and thanks,
Dave
NK7Z
http://www.nk7z.net