[RFI] Need Solar. Photo Voltaic System info

Ray Benny rayn6vr at cableone.net
Mon Jul 31 15:25:57 EDT 2017

To all,

I am looking into a PV solar system for my home and would like input and experience with systems that have no RFI issues. I have read the QST article describing the fix for the Solar Edge Optimizer and do not want to go thru that effort! I called the ARRL and was told that the Solar Edge is for sure a RFI generator.

So far I have bids from two of the top National Solar PV companies: SunRun who is associated with Costco, and SolarCity, who is/was associated with Home Depot. Both sales persons stated that they cannot modify a contract with any kind of clause putting the burden of fixing RFI issues on them.

I am working with two local, independent Solar companies, and they are willing to look into the RFI issue to some degree. One sales person did send me spec sheets on the inverters they use, and info on micro inverter solar panels.

I'm in somewhat of a time crunch since APS - Arizona Power Service is changing the rates paid for home generated solar power on Sept 1. This change will take away much of the incentive/savings for home solar systems.

What I'm looking for from this group is input from those who have installed home solar systems, or who have done research for RFI free systems. I'd even like some of the details, mainly the type of inverter, central or micro inverters, manufacturers info, etc. If some are know to be RFI free, I can ask the local solar companies to bid on those units. One comment, micro-inverters are the newest technology in converting the DC power generated to AC. Systems installed 5 - 10 years ago usually used one central inverter, and I think, those generally did not generate RFI.

I'm looking forward to your input and wish to thank you for helping in my research.

Tnx & 73,

Ray,
N6VR,
Chino Valley, AZ
(near Prescott)

PS, does anyone know of existing RFI analysis/studies of home solar systems?

--
Ray,
N6VR