[RFI] Daisy chain vs Common Ground in Shack

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jun 7 21:15:23 EDT 2017

On Wed,6/7/2017 3:04 PM, Sean Waite wrote:
> Any idea how far apart is too far for the ground rods to be bonded? I've
> got a new (well, old, new to me) antenna going up. It's a cushcraft R7
> vertical, and is about 125' straight line from my service ground. I've
> considered sinking a ground rod next to it and bonding the antenna to that,
> as once I meander through the necessary path I'll probably have over 200'
> of wire to make it.

Yes, there should be a ground rod at the base of that antenna, bonded to
the coax shield. BUT -- any wire from there to reach the house is so
long that it is a big inductor. Remember that lighting is an RF event,
not a DC event. So bonding it to the house ground may not be very
effective. Indeed, my practice is to add a common mode choke on the
feedpoint of that antenna, just like any other.

You really need to study Ward's book on grounding your home.

73, Jim K9YC