[RFI] SO2R and 2nd harmonic

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Thu Sep 14 13:13:14 EDT 2017

Hi Luca,

Dave's reply is the only one that correctly addresses the problem
you described. You described your problem as " rise up floor noise
level about 60 khz on each side from main harmonic frequency."

Many contest stations -- including mine -- experience the exact
problem you describe, it has a name: "RF Flooding" Its caused
when a powerful RF signal penetrates a non-linear device that has:
- AC power or digital signals flowing though it, and
- is connected to wires that receive the powerful fundamental RF
signal and re-radiate broadband modulated harmonic RFI.

The solution is similar to the process for locating and correcting
any other RFI problem, except you must provide a strong RF
signal to excite the harmonic RFI from the non-linear devices
(its likely to be more than one device). Wall warts and ham
radio accessories (rotator controllers and any other device with
a small power supply especially cell phone chargers) are very likely
RF Flooding RFI sources in your own home

You'll find that broadband harmonic RFI varies in intensity as you
rotate your directive transmitting and receiving antennas. I've found
it very helpful to use an Elecraft K3 with P3 panadapter to document
the broadband harmonic RFI and to determine with direction(s) the
RFI comes from.

A portable HF receiver such as an FT-817 can be very helpful in isolating
the RFI source. As with any other RFI hunting, start in your own home
by turning off all of the circuit breakers except to your transceiver and
amplifier.

As Dave said, this is likely to take some time, especially if the RFI
sources are outside your own home.

73
Frank
W3LPL