[RFI] 160m Noise - Revisited

Larry Burke wi5a at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 14 19:52:12 EDT 2017

Back in May of this year I posted a video of a couple of noises that were
causing significant problems for me on 160m. One of those noises long ago
disappeared, leaving the remaining noise out in the open and more visible on
the spectrum scope. I've posted a new and improved video of the current
situation at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpmYHOxVYiA
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpmYHOxVYiA&feature=youtu.be>
&feature=youtu.be

At the recommendation of KB4T I purchased a National RF Model HFDF Vector
Gun kit. I use it mobile in conjunction with an Elecraft K3. It works very
well and seems to be indicating a source about 750 feet north of me -- I
think I have narrowed it down to one or two houses. Before I go knocking on
doors I'd like some input on possible emission sources.

The noise is:

- Frequency stable. If it's "on" it's always on the same frequencies with no
drift

- Appears about every 8 kHz from about the top end of the BC band to around
2 MHz

- Disappears from time-to-time but is on significantly more than it is off.
No apparent rhyme or reason for when it's on or off

Thoughts?

- Larry K5RK