[RFI] solar panel filters

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Apr 12 21:58:08 EDT 2018

On 4/12/2018 4:02 PM, David Eckhardt wrote:
> Ferrites are better suited at reducing RFI at 30 MHz than low HF.  I am far
> more concerned about 160, 80, and 40-meters, and of course, 20.1 MHz that
> 30 MHz.

Not even slightly true!  I suggest that you study
k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf    I'm currently working on a major update of
recommended chokes for use below 10 MHz, extending recommendations to
the new 630M band, and providing more detailed plots of choking Z, Rs,
and Xs .

>   Inverters and built-in or added after the fact optimizers produce
> less and less energy as the frequency is increased.  Ferrites become less
> and less effective as the frequency is decreased.  Yes, there are special
> mixes of ferrites that are effective at lower frequencies, but not easily
> available from your corner store.

Not all that difficult to find if you know what you're looking for. My
website includes Fair-Rite part numbers for useful parts and a list of
vendors. There's an update to that list in my more recent tutorial on
chasing and killing receive noise. k9yc.com/publish.htm   Another ham
recently pointed me to Arrow Electronics as a good source for small
quantity orders -- decent prices on stuff they stock and free shipping
for a $20 order.

73, Jim K9YC