[RFI] Recommendation needed: Whole house surge protection

David Harmon k6xyz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 30 13:45:16 EDT 2018

My power company has the whole house protector available.
I purchased it from them and they installed it no charge because the meter
must be removed in order for the protector to be mounted behind the meter.
I also use surge protectors on devices that have microprocessors for the
non-lightening events.
When lightening is within 50 miles I unplug the line cords and disconnect
all antennas.....this leaves all devices isolated.
So far...so good.

My antennas have been direct hit 4 times by lightning and no damage to
anything in the house.
This does not include coax or baluns.....they blew up....literally....but
they are outside.
Don't leave any coax connected to antennas on the floor.
I did and now I have 2 nice holes burned into the carpet.

73

David Harmon
K6XYZ
Sperry, OK