[RFI] Firman Generators

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 4 16:08:49 EST 2018

No data on Firman, but did do a teardown of the Harbor Freight Predator
3500 invertor unit and measured its electrical performance.  It does
meet specs and has some headroom on the DC side of the inverter under
full resistive load.  The AC output waveform looked good, smooth
linkages of the PWM segments with no overshoot spikes.  I didn't have a
SA available so couldn't measure the RFI, but the scope look was
reassuring.

Overall the HF unit tooling is very impressive.  It is a very good copy
of the Honda 3k.  Some parts were scavenged for other purposes so can't
do further testing.

Evaluating inverter gens should be on the ARRL test dept list, and this
one should make the short list.

$699 with the sale coupon, there was a $649 coupon before which is what
we paid.  Plus it is electric start vs the Firman.

Grant KZ1W