[RFI] Dishwasher RFI Video

David Eckhardt davearea51a at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 15:19:25 EST 2018

Yes, with the Spyverter, it will cover down to nearly DC.  I use the
Ham-it-Up to monitor 60 kHz WWVL and lightning research.  That came out
before the SpyVerter was available.  With the Spyverter, you just set the
offset of the LO of the converter in SDR#, and readout is proper on the
frequency scale.

The AirSpy HF+ covers basically DC to 240 or 260 MHz.  It does not go very
deep into VHF territory.  Personally, I am not interested in the AirSpy HF+
as most of my interests in radio astronomy are not in the HF region.  I
have several 'real' spectrum analyzers, so I don't need coverage into HF
for those purposes.  If you do go for the AirSpy HF+, you will need to
remove a capacitor to gain any real sensitivity at ELF and VLF.  It's a
very minor mod.

Another SDR you may stumble across is the RSP 1 and RSP 2 which Ham Radio
distributes for a little less $$.  I do NOT recommend it even though it
covers HF to roughly 1.8 GHz.  It does not have the capability of operating
as a spectrum analyzer as does the AirSpy nor is it too good as it produces
all kinds of spurs, especially at VLF/ELF.  Also, it is very prone to
mixing of strong signals and does not do well even with out-of-band strong
signals.  Even though it is a little less expensive, I do NOT recommend
that SDR.  I have one and hardly use it for those reasons.  In addition,
the only SDR app it operates under is SDRUno unless you can find a very old
and outdated version of SDR#.  I absolutely dislike SDRUno.  SDRUnjo and me
just do not get along in scientific applications.  10 dB changes in the
WWVL signal may be as little as 5 dB and as much as 25 dB.  WWVL transmits
very precise 10 dB steps.  As far as I'm concerned, the RSP 1 and RSP 2 are
junk.  Don't throw away your hard-earned $$.  I did once and forever regret
it.

Dave - WØLEV

--

*Dave - WØLEV*