[RFI] Noise location tools

Dave Cole (NK7Z) dave at nk7z.net
Wed Jan 17 10:43:38 EST 2018

Actually Don, we are both agreeing with Jim, K9YC with regards to the
dish.

I could not agree with you more with regards to an attenuator.  My
biggest problem was overload.  I am in the process of building an
attenuator for my MFJ three element 135 MHz beam, and radio.  MFJ put
the receiver at the feed-point, so adding an attenuator involves moving
the radio to the handle, via an attenuator.

I have been using loops of late, they have a really sharp null, and if
you hang a hunk of ferrite material at the feed-point, on the coax, the
pattern gets even sharper!

I also move up in frequency, and prefer that as opposed to adding
attenuation.  If I can reduce signal that way, I do, else in comes the
attenuator.

Most locates of late have been just drive around with the truck,
listening on 40 meters, and shorten/lengthen the screwdriver as needed
to attenuate signal.

The last locate took 5 minutes that way, and I am in month 2 of taking
notes to make sure if the FCC is involved, I have done it all correctly.
  Hopefully the light owner will just add filters, and that will end the
issue.  I always worry about contacting light operators...  One of these
days I will find a crazy one...

73s and thanks,
Dave
NK7Z