[RFI] Smoke Detectors Beeping

Wes Attaway (N5WA) wesattaway at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 27 14:19:25 EDT 2018

Stan .... you will probably get a lot of different responses.  Here is one.

I use some smoke detectors made by BRK, Model 41208.  I think I bought them
at Home Depot.  They have never shown any sign of being susceptible to RFI.

I use two OCF antennas.  One is 40-10 and the other is 80-10).  The
impedance of OCFs is nominally around 200-ohms and the usual practice is to
use a 4:1 balun at the feedpoint to get close to a match with 50-ohm
feedline.  I also use a 1:1 choke just below the 4:1 balun and another
inside the shack.  The chokes are 17-turns of RG8X cross-wound on FT-43 2.5"
core.  I have never experienced any RFI anywhere in the house (my shack is
in my office inside the house).

Fan dipoles are popular and are probably better than OCFs but they have
their own set of mechanical and installation problems.  I use OCFs because
the fit the tree layout in my yard, whereas fan dipoles won't fit without
cutting down some trees.

In any event, I think you should change your feed system.  There are plenty
of articles online about this.

Wes Attaway (N5WA)
(318) 393-3289 - Shreveport, LA
Computer/Cellphone Forensics