[RFI] ethernet switch with shielded case or low emission spectrum

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Mar 29 02:34:27 EDT 2018

On 3/28/2018 11:22 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> I was hoping someone may have found a "quite" switch that could be
> recommended.  Some of the semi-pro (e.g. Netgear home-office rack
> mount) stuff has metal cases -- but I don't know if that actually
> means they are quieter.

Hi Jeff,

I have no equipment recommendations, but can at least offer these thoughts.

Unfortunately, shielding requires FAR more than putting circuitry in a
conductive enclosure. Many such boxes are "clamshells" with paint
insulating the places where they SHOULD meet, so they're not really
shielded. Every cable SHIELD that enters a shielding enclosure must be
bonded to the enclosure AT THE POINT OF ENTRY. Any unshielded conductors
must go through feed-through caps that shunt RF to the chassis, but
doing that with data circuits would likely trash the data. :) This
problem can be solved by one or more ferrite common mode chokes on the
cable.

73, Jim K9YC