[RFI] Low Voltage Lighting Questions

Jim Stahl jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 13:54:45 EDT 2018

I’ve determined that I have one or more LED kitchen track/ceiling light installations in nearby condos that are causing RFI. Killing the breaker kills the RFI.

Since these are in condo units occupied by renters, I need to go through the owners (fortunately who live locally) to do anything about remedying the RFI. So I want to know what to expect when I am able to get access for more than killing breakers.

Are the low voltage supplies (which I assume are the problem) powered 24/7, with the light switch/dimmers being on the low voltage side of the supply?

Are the dimmers pulse width modulated, or amplitude modulated? Are the dimmers in these LED systems likely to be a problem themselves?

Are these supplies normally equipped with a standard electrical plug into a normal outlet? Is there normally accessible low voltage wire between the supply and the start of the lighting chain? I.e. are there likely to be issues with installing ferrites on either side of the supply?

Is 12 volts DC a common or standard low voltage level? What is the approximate DC current per bulb, i.e. if I were to replace the RFI generating switching supply with a linear supply, how big of a supply would normally be needed?

Thanks & 73  -  Jim   K8MR/4