[RFI] Low Voltage Lighting Questions

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Mar 31 14:13:50 EDT 2018

On 3/31/2018 5:22 AM, Cortland Richmond wrote:
> Do post the ratings on the "FCC Approved" transformer; there may be
> less expensive substitutes.

Indeed there are -- they're old-fashioned linear wall warts, find them
for a buck at ham flea markets and second hand stores (and I save my own
when the gear they power no longer is in use). I use them to replace the
switchers that come with new gear. I cut the cables for both old and new
warts, put Power Poles on the linear supply and the connector going to
the gear, and use one of those handy inline Voltmeter/Ammeters to verify
that the wart matches the load.

Search for Watts Up Power Meter. Be careful though -- it reads current
in the negative lead, so will give VERY wrong current readings for gear
that is part of a system with interconnected equipment.

73, Jim K9YC