[RFI] LED bulb replacements for use in existing florescent fixtures

John K9UWA john at johnjeanantiqueradio.com
Thu Nov 15 17:34:20 EST 2018

I also have replace in excess of 100 of these 4 foot long bulbs with LED bulbs.
About 40 of them were in my own house in Indiana where my Ham Station is
located and a few more in our place in Florida and the rest if friends and relatives
homes. To Me the key to this is
DIRECT WIRE   BALLAST BYPASS must be in the information about the bulb. It
might take me 10 minutes to rewire the fixture removing the ballast and rewiring
the fixture to accept the DIRECT WIRE BALLAST BYPASS bulbs. All of them I
have purchased were Single Ended Power 120 vac. Requires the Non-Shunted
Tombstones. Or in easy speak so non-hams can understand it. You rewire the
fixture so that the Black and the White wires from the wall are connected to the
same end of the bulb. The opposite end yes has two pins but the only purpose
they serve is to keep the bulb in the fixture. There are some that have one wire to
each end and there are some that have a flat cable with two wires coming direct
from the Bulb. Menards Stores has that one. I didn't really like either version but
only wanted the Live end type bulbs.

the best part for us HAMS they are QUIET and don't make RFI. At least the ones I
purchased were quiet. 1 foot away from the bulbs I could not hear them on my
Sony ICF-2001 transistor AM / SW radio.

I might add that I have also gone through my house eliminating Wall Wart
supplies and other RFI noise makers. Plus lots of Love Them .. Mix #31 Ferrite
toroid cores of all sizes and shapes. Next summer I am going to assist my next
door neighbor in eliminating a few more noise makers... yes I will pay the bill for
whatever it takes to make the RFI go away.

73
John k9uwa
John Goller, K9UWA & Jean Goller, N9PXF
Antique Radio Restorations