[RFI] Update: LG washer WT1501CW - EMI

Hare, Ed W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Tue Nov 20 16:03:25 EST 2018

Now, I am looking at the rules for categorical exemptions, and not every device that is an "industrial plant" would be categorically exempt.

"A digital device used exclusively as an electronic control or power system utilized by a public utility or in an industrial plant."

Now, just what constitutes and "electronic control or power system" would be up to the FCC, and I suspect it would interpret it loosely. Does a pulse-wide motor controller constitute and "electronic control?"  Would it be considered to be a "power system," providing power to a motor? Probably.  To really get the interpretation would probably necessitate looking at the Report and Order and related releases that were issued by the FCC when the rule was implemented.

It could also be that the noise is being generated by an incidental emitter, also categorically exempt.

In most cases, hams are better off addressing interference on the basis of "harmful interference," because if we try too hard to pin it on emissions violations, we may end up in a situation where devices that meet the limits are presumed to not interfere, or, worse, we have to demonstrate that devices do not meet the limits, impractical in most cases.

Ed