[RFI] USB rfi ; rig control--->solved....I think.

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Nov 28 19:51:18 EST 2018

On 11/28/2018 3:29 PM, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:
> I have tried enough ferrites to sink the Queen Mary. I have rerouted cables,
> replaced USB cables many times. I have wound USB cables into giant (chokes)
> loops. I have grounded rigs; ungrounded rigs (some success at times!) and
> even pounded 2 big ground rods into the Earth just outside the shack and fed
> them with huge wire right through the wall.  I have even wrapped all kinds
> of things in aluminum foil and made aluminum foil shields (for the bottom of
> my laptop, which sits on a shelf above the rig that seems affected the
> worst). I have moved stuff around the shack.  I have even changed the
> connection speeds (50% slower/normal.whatever) in N1MM setups. (with varied
> success)

All of this suggests that you don't understand the fundamentals of
Bonding. Your problem is almost certainly a failure to do that in your
station. There are two good places to learn this. First, N0AX's ARRL
book on Grounding and Bonding, on which I collaborated extensively. It's
not free.

http://www.arrl.org/shop/Grounding-and-Bonding-for-the-Radio-Amateur/

Second, the same information on my website. It IS free.

http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

Also on my website, these instructions for finding and killing noise.
Follow its guidelines for winding chokes to kill RFI either sent or
received.

http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

73, Jim K9YC