[RFI] Hybrid Car RFI

Jim jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri Nov 30 08:20:07 EST 2018

We have a 2015 Prius V. I have done several mobile entries in the Florida and Pennsylvania QSO parties with it.

In short, there is significant RF noise generated by the gasoline engine when doing heavy acceleration, or trying to maintain 75mph going up hills in PA. On flat steady speed highways there is some noise which would affect weaker signals, but good rates are still to be had.

The neat feature is that when parked with the car turned “ON” but the engine not running, the hybrid system keeps the 12 volt system charged to a reasonable level. (Otherwise, the 12 volt battery is about the smallest size car battery you’ll find,  think about a 45 AH capacity). As the hybrid battery runs down, eventually the gas engine starts up to charge the hybrid system. I typically get about 30 minutes of parked operating before that happens, less if I’m running the air conditioning. So in Florida I learn to be warm for the FQP  :-). With the engine not running while parked, the hybrid system on its own is pretty quiet, though a few birdies are still around.

I’ve not noticed any issues the radio cause to the car.

I’m running 100 watts to HamSticks on mag mounts on the roof, no other particular RFI proofing other than ferrite common mode chokes at the antenna feedpoints.

73  -  Jim   K8MR