[RFI] Solar Panel RFI in Kings Park - Update October 4th 2018

Tony dxdx at optonline.net
Thu Oct 11 16:05:30 EDT 2018

On 10/11/2018 2:03 PM, Hare, Ed W1RFI wrote:
> Mike Gruber, I am thinking that we need to get out to that Connecticut Solar-Edge installation and make some 30 MHz radiated emissions measurements.   The devices probably don't exceed the limits for AC-mains conducted emissions <30 MHz, but they may exceed the radiated emissions limits above 30 MHz, which they are expected to meet.

Ed:

That's a wonderful idea. In addition to an evaluation, I think it would
benefit us all if the ARRL would collaborate with the RF engineers at
Solar Edge. I met them in person recently and they are open to
suggestions. Tefford Reed is the senior engineer who assessed the RFI at
my location and is now responsible for coming up with a solution.

His assessment was that their usual RFI suppression methods were not
enough to eliminate the noise in my case which is why their looking at
everything from improved RFI chokes to the infamous RFI absorbing foam.

He can be reached at:
Tefford.Reed at solaredge.com
Tel: 510-772-7821

Thanks,  Tony -K2MO