[RFI] HomePlug OK?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Sep 2 00:37:08 EDT 2018

On 9/1/2018 6:31 PM, GaryK9GS wrote:
> I have a TP Link range extender and it works really well.

Why are we locked in to wifi routers supplied by internet vendors, which
are likely to be whatever they could buy the cheapest? There are a lot
of very good WiFi routers around -- read the reviews to find them, don't
be a cheap ham and buy one of them! I'm using an ASUS RT-AC66U. Feed
your internet modem to it.

Besides -- if you check your bill for internet service, there's a good
chance you're getting charged a rental on that unit, which you could
probably buy for a year or two's rent.

>   Wireless router is in the basement, roughly the center of the house.

The only good reason for sticking it in the basement is to minimize
coverage to your neighbors. I see pretty good signal from one or two
neighbors that are at least 250 feet away.

Also, look at power settings and channel assignments, and check what
channels your neighbors are using. I use WiFiInfoView from this company.
http://www.nirsoft.net/  Also their Wireless Internet Watcher shows you
all the connections to your network. Both are free.

73, Jim K9YC