[RFI] Home RFI Hunting

Dave Van Wallaghen dave at w8fgu.com
Sun Sep 30 11:31:44 EDT 2018

First, thanks to all of you who replied on the list and privately. I
appreciate all the advise.

I just wanted to follow up on this as I tried a few things and I sheepishly
bring the solution to my buzzing noise problem on the low end of the AM
band and 600m in case anyone else runs into my situation.

I did run a separate AC ground back to the panel physically separating my
shack circuit from my problematic AV/TV circuit. This had no effect what so
ever. So while pondering why this noise is so prominent if my antenna or
rig is connected to the AC ground system, my inexperience waned enough that
I finally figured out what was going on. In my first email, I failed to
mention that the antenna I was using is a 80-10m multi-band end fed from
MyAntennas. This seemed like a logical choice since it is resonant on all
of the ham bands I wanted to test and does fairly well on 160m and 600m as
well.

So yes, the coax shield of the feedline of the antenna acts as the
counterpoise for this antenna, and in effect, everytime I connected the AC
ground to the rig or antenna ground, it was coupling the noise directly to
my antenna system and rig. Several turns of the feedline through a #31 core
at the rig end greatly reduces the buzzing. It reduced the noise for S9+5
to a respectful S5-6 which is what I was seeing when I floated the ground
of the rig and antenna. I still have a little noise between 380-480Khz that
I will tweak and see if I can eliminate all together.

This leads to my next question: I was thinking of using a #77 mix core in
series with the #31 to help here as the #77 has a higher impedance in the
lower frequencies. I may have missed it in Jim, K9YC's RFI pdf, but does
series mean the two cores together with the cable passing through them
simultaneously? Or two separately wound cores? I apologize if this is a
dumb question. I've learned a great deal throughout this process and I
might just be a little overloaded at the moment ;-)

73,
Dave W8FGU