[RFI] FCC Limits on Power Lines

Hare, Ed W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Tue Aug 20 10:15:59 EDT 2019

I am not sure what kind of emissions you are talking about.

If you are talking about emissions that may radiate from the noise created by devices connected to power lines, which regulation may apply to those emissions depends on what type of device.  Most are regulated by Part 15 or Part 18 of the FCC's rules.  There are different limits for devices marketed into consumer or industrial environments.  The device manufacturer is required to meet these emissions limits.  Other than its own equipment, an electric utility is not responsible for any interference caused by radiation that results from devices connected to its lines.

If this question is related to noise from sparking or arcing sources on power lines, these are classified as incidental emitters under Part 15 rules. There are no specific limits for the emissions from incidental emitters.  The operator of an incidental emitter is required to operate it in a way that does not cause harmful interference.

If the utility space includes street lighting, that would either be regulated as an incidental emitter or, if an LED or other type of light, as an unintentional emitter, regulated by Part 15 or Part 18 rules.

If the device is a broadband over power-line device, this is regulated as a carrier-current device which must meet the limits for intentional emitters under Part 15 rules.

In most cases, devices that operate at the limits will cause moderate interference to nearby devices.  The operator of any device regulated by Part 15 or Part 18 is required to use the device in a way that doesn't cause harmful interference.  In general, the FCC deems interference that is typically found in residential environments not to be harmful interference, so if at all possible, interference should be resolved without FCC "assistance."

Ed Hare, W1RFI