[RFI] Ferrite core and hot glue? - "Q" Dope

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Aug 24 23:09:30 EDT 2019

That gives you liquid Styrene(sp?) which makes a good substitute with
good RF properties.

I use Acetone and Plexiglass or old medicine bottles. The old bottles
will tint the glue due to their color.
The plexiglass yields a close approximation of Q Dope  You can dissolve
a lot of plexiglass in Acetone to make a fairly/relatively thick glue
and it does make a good glue that's also good for repairing broken
plastic .  I've used a lot of it over the years
CAUTION!  Do not use Acetone in closed, or small rooms. Out in the
garage with the doors open is fine
DO NOT use near any flame. The fumes are highly flammable and explosive
in relatively low concentrations. More so than even gasoline and can
damage your lungs if inhaled.

Keep the mix in a tightly closed (sealed) jar. Small canning jars are
ideal as ar jars with gasketed lids.

73, Roger (K8RI)

On 8/23/2019 7:27 PM, Kenneth G. Gordon wrote:
> On 23 Aug 2019 at 10:27, Leonard Halvorsen via RFI wrote:
>
>> Us older guys remember something called Q-DOPE.
>> We used it at the Lab to attach all kinds of stuff, not just on coils.
>> Can you even GET that stuff anymore?
>>
>> Leo H.
>> WA2AMW
> I make my own: A pint of MEK from the local hardware store, and as many styrofoam cups
> as I can crush and allow to dissolve in the MEK, then tightly capped.
>
> A pint jar with 1/2 pint or so of MEK in it will normally take at least 20 ea 8 oz sized cups.
>
> When it takes more than a minute to dissolve the bits, then stop.
>
> If air is kept away from it, it will last a long time.
>
> Applied evenly with a small paint brush to coils of any kind it dries clear and hard.
>
> Works wonders.
>
> Ken W7EKB

Roger (K8RI)