[RFI] Battery charger recommendations

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Thu Aug 29 20:16:38 EDT 2019

Hi Jim,

I want to have 100% of my non-tube radio
equipment powered through battery, the
same for my TV & McIntosh C2500 & MC75
amp. In this mix will also be two
computers, one a laptop & the other a
desktop and a few LED lights. My current
small wattage Solar Panels won't begin to
approach this need. My future system will.

I want solar power to help charge the
batteries and a battery charger to keep
the batteries at charge. I had bought an
Iota DLS-55/IQ4 charger last fall but it
throws out too much RFI. My latest post to
the RFI list was to try and find a
substantial charger that is a smart
charger which won't cause so much RFI.

I don't plan to have all the solar done
this year, but I hope to have 400 watts of
panels to help with recharging. As there's
going to be less power than the max they
can give, it'll only cover a fraction of
the power drain till I get more panels of
several KW installed. The 6V seriesed
batteries are substantial & the new design
by Trojan for solar which will be
excellent energy storage for my immediate
needs. I can't address all the power needs
of the two rooms from the solar I have,
but I can do so with the solar & a charger
to handle the draw.

When I install the future panels I will
buy two more of these batteries and
parallel them for 800+ AH, but for now,
there is no sense in that as I don't have
panels enough to generate more than my
needs & if I keep them charged with a
power supply, they will be good for
emergency backup and albeit the equipment
is more $ than the cost of the power it
will generate, I like the idea of
generating power off the grid.

What I need at this moment and in the
future, is a charger that will not muck up
my Rx. My Iota is noisy and as was
suggested to me, I'll contact the company
as it's under warranty, but I'm suspecting
the RFI is within the nature of the PS and
there's nothing to be fixed. So I'm
looking for a high amp smart PS that is
not a RFI generator to use with my limited
current system, and will nicely compliment
a more robust system and leave my Rx RFI
free. Hopefully someone here knows of such
a charger.

73,

Gary
KA1J