[RFI] Dimmer Switch

Dale Johnson dj2001x at comcast.net
Tue Dec 10 07:10:57 EST 2019

I don’t employ any dimmers in the house, none.  I simply turn off the light or use lower wattage lights.  No RFI from dimmers.  :)

Dale, K9VUJ

On 10, Dec 2019, at 4:13, Don Kirk <wd8dsb at gmail.com> wrote:

Here is a copy of something I posted back in 2017 that might be of interest.
----------------

I installed 6" recessed Dimmable 120 Vac LED lights in family room a year
ago (Lowe's Utilitech 65 Watt equivalent), and no problem with RFI until I
installed and tested 2 different dimmers designed for LED lights (I know
one brand was Lutron) and the packaging on the dimmers said something about
being designed to prevent RFI emission.  Both dimmers I tested generated
RFI, with one being worse in the AM broadcast band, and the other was worst
up in the 160 meter band.  Also the RFI is most serve when the Dimmers are
adjusted for low level of light.

The two dimmers I tested were as follows.

Lutron TGCL-153PH-LA

Cooper Industries/Eaton TAL06P-C2-K-L

The Lutron was worst down in the AM broadcast band, while the Cooper
Industries/Eaton was worst on 160 meters.  For numerous reasons (most of
which was my wife), I kept the Cooper Industries/Eaton dimmer even though
it's a bad RFI generator on my favorite band (160 meters).

Don (wd8dsb)