[RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 203, Issue 15

Michael Martin mike at rfiservices.com
Thu Dec 12 10:50:03 EST 2019

Everyone has their own opinion,
So here's mine!
I use ultrasound on almost a daily basis. Usually when people have a difficult time utilizing a source on a pole it's because they're on the wrong Pole. using RF to locate the source is highly recommended and a must.
Also keep in mind that ultrasound units such as the mfj is very insensitive but using an ultrasound device such as the radar engineers model 251, Which has probably three times the sensitivity level of the mfj, can produce very good results. Again it's only as good as the previous step so if you haven't verified that the structure you're looking at contains the source you may not be at the source structure there for the results will be poor with the next step. I use ultrasound with about a 95% success rate. Even when I cannot determine the source when using the ultrasound, I can usually determine what it is because the ultrasound doesn't work.
As for the union issue, I've seen a couple of inputs concerning that and the fact is there are Union rules and regulations that limit who can do this, not just a safety standard.  Unions determine, in a lot of companies, who can do what job and high voltage is an area where they often regulate. The hot stick line sniffer that is used on the end of a hot stick is extremely functional and 100% successful. The hotstick line sniffer has an RF detector that works at 114 megahertz as well as ultrasound that is 43 kilohertz. Both work well but may only be used by people qualified to work in the primary zone or within the minimum approach distance.
K3RFI