[RFI] Update: Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Dec 17 14:42:36 EST 2019

On 12/17/2019 10:55 AM, Hare, Ed W1RFI wrote:
> Let me see if I can put this into perspective.

Thanks for your detailed summary of this. I have also contributed to
this matter, consulting with Tefford Reed, the Solar Edge field tech who
was working on K2MO's neighbor's installation. By coincidence, Reed
lived in the SF Bay area, driving distance to me, and we met twice for
lunch to discuss the project.

My contributions were to 1) educate the tech with respect to possible
mechanisms; 2) address installation-related factors unique to it that
could be affecting this particular installation; 3) wind and measure
more than a dozen chokes on several combinations of #31 to be applied to
the rooftop loop of optimizers and make specific recommendations; 4)
advised that the best and most cost effective solution was redesign of
problematic circuitry to minimize the HF noise products. One of those
installation-related factors was that the frame for the panels were
(are?) bonded to earth electrodes on the opposite side of the building
from the mains service, setting up a large loop for noise currents,
which would in turn establish a magnetic field that is strong in the
near field (like next door).

A few months later, I learned from K2MO that Reed had subsequently left
the company, and I have no idea of the extent to which my
recommendations reached anyone beyond him.

73, Jim K9YC