[RFI] Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI

MICHAEL ST ANGELO mstangelo at comcast.net
Mon Dec 23 12:32:52 EST 2019

Ham's have to improvise; try portable operation.

I started out as a Ham at my parent's surburban lot and had room for HF antennas. I got a job in NY City, got married and eventually purchased a home on a city lot on a hill which was food for VHF/UHF but not for HF. My wife and I like to hike and go to the beach so I stated doing lots of portable operation.

We eventually moved to a house in the suburbs in 1998 with and acre lot. Even though i have room for HF antennas the noise level keeps on raising. We continue our outdoor activities and I have portable radio radio go packs to take along with us.

I am now retired. My wife notices Ham radio can provide mental stimulation but not physical because it is a sedentary hobby. Operating outdoors provides some exercise and makes to hobby more attractive to her which is an added benefit.

I don't operate backpack portable so the size or weight of the radio is not a major consideration. A good radio for portable operating is the ICOM IC-7300 in the Emergency mode which increases the range of the internal tuner. I use Bienno batteries.

Turning Lemon into Lemonade.

Mike N2MS