[RFI] A new one-"IntelliRupter, PulseCloser, Fault Interrupter" internal arcing

JW jwin95 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 11:34:14 EST 2019

ONCOR appears to be implementing an actual Smart Distribution Grid in some parts of the north central Texas service area as opposed to the usual substation hub, spoke and wheel topology. All well and good, I suppose.

But one of their installs became quite noisy last night, about the time some residents in the area reported power going out or glitching in other cases; I saw none of that, just a LOUD noise that started on 160 meters about the time the foregoing power outages took place. These facts were ascertained after the fact via multiple posts to nextdoor.

Cutting to the chase - here is what it sounds like, and yes, that is nearly 30 dB over S9 in SSB on 160 meters (40 over in AM mode). 80 meters is just as bad or worse. The noise extends up past and through the 40 meter band as observed at my QTH 1/4 mile away. The AM broadcast band is affected all up and down Park Place Drive and as well as any street with a lateral off that 3-phase feeder.

https://youtu.be/332YiVEXvjw

Here is a pdf of the device:

https://www.sandc.com/globalassets/sac-electric/documents/sharepoint/documents---all-documents/descriptive-bulletin-766-30.pdf

Here is what they look like out in the field:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/lots-of-broken-or-missing-ground-wires-on-local-power-poles.646286/page-5#post-4967605

Also noteworthy (knowledge in the right hands can work wonders) is a "Status" L.E.D. that can be seen on the bottom of the unit to "flash" once every 30 secs or so on a (presumed) properly operating IntelliRupter, and last night the L.E.D. on this unit was flashing rapidly at about a 1 Hz rate.
This morning, a check of two other IntelliRupters showed the same once every 30 secs flash rate. The 'failed', noisy unit showed no L.E.D. activity whatsoever.  No visible external arcing could be seen this morning on a check about 6 AM local.

73,Jim WB5WPA