[RFI] Air Conditioner / Heat Pump recommendations

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Thu Feb 21 13:04:50 EST 2019

Three years ago I had a Trane/Carrier heat pump system installed.
Trane and Carrier make at least 17 models and at least 16 are
exactly identical.

This is the approach I recommend to any serious radio amateur
considering a replacement heat pump, heating system or air
conditioning system:

First: My primary selection criteria was minimum RFI, every other
selection criteria was secondary or lower. This disqualified all of
the more efficient Trane/Carrier models.

Second: My installer agreed to a "no RFI" clause in my contract.
He consulted with Trane/Carrier and they told my contractor that
there was no RFI risk with the system in my contract.

I have never heard a trace of RFI radiated by this heat pump system.

Truth in advertising: My antennas are spread across more than
20 acres. No antennas are within 200 feet of the heat pump.
My low band receiving antennas are more than 700 feet away.

https://goo.gl/maps/PAFePGt9VRN2

My system uses a Carrier FX4 "Comfort Series" air handler (the indoor unit).

www.pickhvac.com/air-handler/carrier

and a Bryant 214D "Legacy Series" heat pump (the outdoor unit)

www.pickhvac.com/heat-pump/bryant

YMMV

73
Frank