[RFI] Faulty Whole House Surge Protector Catches Fire

thoyer thoyer1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 17 20:24:15 EST 2019

Last year there was an accident around the corner. Knocked out a utility
pole and the high kV lines fell onto one leg of the feed lines to the
neighborhood. Sent a big surge through one leg of the power lines. I had
three of those MOV utility strips explode and the associated breakers
tripped. Lucky for me that none of my radio or computers were damaged - but
- My range, refrigerator, kitchen light, dehumidifier, dishwasher, multiple
LED lights all popped.

We were luckey, there were multiple fires in the neighborhood and the fire
dept was going door to door checking each house.

I spoke with one of the utility guys and he told me that he has seen this
happen many times in the 30 years he has worked. He said those cheap strips
were the cause of many fires he has witnessed. He said the type of surge we
had, not even a whole house surge protector would have survived.

I was able to repair all of my appliances as they were typically a blown
fuse caused by the MOV doing its job. Others were not so fortunate as you
went through the neighborhood over the next several days and saw the streets
lined with damaged appliance waiting for trash pickup.

Oh, it took them 3 days to get the power back as it took out a couple
transformers at the local substation.

Tom
W3TA

PS: the driver that hit the pole was able to drive away. Didn't stay around
to take responsibility. Didn't take the police long to find him though.