[RFI] Fair-Rite and Tariffs

Richard F. DiDonna NN3W richnn3w at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 16:56:23 EDT 2019

When we discuss legality, we should be careful.  If a product is
manufactured in China, and shipped to the Netherlands, and then simply
resold to the United States, you have -not- changed the country of
origin of the good.  That is Customs Law 101.  Duties and taxes
(including Section 301 duties) are based upon the country of origin of
the good.  If you are telling me that the goods are Dutch in origin
(i.e., they were manufactured in the Netherlands), then there is no
issue.  However, when you state that the product was simply "shipped
from the Netherlands" and that "this tactic is rather widely used", it
smells of a circumvention scheme.

And I could care less if a company is publicly traded.  I have seen
enough custom fraud from some S&P 100 companies to make you question why
certain of their divisional vice presidents are not in jail for extended
periods of time.

73 Rich NN3W