[RFI] Fair-Rite Common Mode Chokes

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Thu Jul 18 13:42:14 EDT 2019

Hi Joe,

I often remind hams that coaxial cable is a three conductor cable when
connected to the feed point of an antenna. Two of the conductors are
the obvious ones, but the outside of the shield forms a third conductor.
The velocity factor of this "third conductor" is approximately 0.95,
but in this application its length is not critical, any length approximating
1/4 or 3/4 wavelengths will work very well.

I'm sure you know that 1/4 wave vertical has very high impedance
at the top, the same applies for a 3/4 wavelength vertical. When
you ground a coaxial feed line 1/4 or 3/4 wavelengths from the dipole
feed point, you're essentially making it into a vertical antenna with high
impedance where it connects to the feed point of the dipole. Very little
current will flow onto the high impedance presented by the outside of
the shield.

If the coax drops straight down from the dipole it will carry negligible
RF current; however, parasitic currents will be induced into the coax
shield if you pull the coax to the side, destroying its symmetry to both
sides of the dipole. By the the way, exactly the same symmetry
requirement exists for coax isolated from the antenna by a choke...
If you pull the choke isolated coax to the side it will also carry
parasitically induced RF current.

We eliminate cross-station RFI at W3AO by using only flat top
horizontally polarized antennas. All antennas for the same band
are aligned tip-to-tip with several hundred feet of spacing which
dramatically reduces their coupling. We have no RFI at all when
operating four transceivers (CW, SSB, digital and GOTA)
simultaneously on the same band.

73
Frank
W3LPL