[RFI] SolarEdge Finds New Source of Solar System RFI

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Jun 8 18:17:55 EDT 2019

It should, normally, but "I think" it's possible as we are dealing with
semiconductors, that on rare occasions it could develop a self resonant
frequency and if it's in a series of cells  providing power ??

Theoretically, it's possible for spot contamination along with other
influences to develop a not very efficient transistor.  I believe solar
grade Silicon is the least expensive grade but we are still dealing with
a couple parts per billion and even parts per trillion purity.  During
fabrication, if a photographic mask slips even a fraction of a mm a
whole batch could develop strange characteristics [ I've been out of the
loop since 87 so I'm not sure what manufacturing process is now being used]

As these appear to be occasional, it's likely caused by a bad batch of
cells.
I've seen the following analogy used to describe parts per billion.
Take a cube of bricks one city block on a side. In this pile are one or
two yellow bricks representing parts per billion.

  I heard that CPU fabrication is using X-Rays to get the size down.

One additional point: The semiconductor industry and particularly the
first stage which is the poly-crystal growing stage, is a feast or
famine industry and it is going into one of those shakeout periods.
This means they are really squeezing pennies and at the end of these
cycles there are usually only 3 to 5 poly manufacturers able to survive

73, Roger (K8RI)

On 6/8/2019 11:29 AM, r55stan at gmail.com wrote:
> Wouldn't the noise from semiconductors tend to be random (broadband white noise) in nature?  Much like the added noise from an amplifier due to its noise figure value?  The RFI I have experienced from SolarEdge systems falls at regular intervals in frequency, the harmonics of a switching frequency.  As for choking the optimizers having little effect, there is a good chance they missed one or more of them.  It took four visits at a house 200 feet from me for the technicians to find all of them.  Even a single optimizer without ferrites makes a lot of RFI.
>
> 73, Randy KQ6RS

Roger (K8RI)