[RFI] There goes the neighborhood.....

Gary Johnson gwj at wb9jps.com
Mon May 27 18:13:47 EDT 2019

Funny that this topic should come up. Guess what got installed next door yesterday? A 6.5 kW SolarEdge system with optimizers. Complete wall-to-wall buzzing obliteration S9+10 on 40m (26 dB above my already-noisy noise floor), and almost as bad on 80. Curiously, only about +1 S unit on higher bands.

This is a new neighbor. The previous one installed made-in-hell LED lights and I went thru ARRL and the full FCC assault to get chokes installed. Here is a presentation about that little adventure: http://wb9jps.com/Gary_Johnson/RFI_files/Severe_RFI_NA6O.pdf

So we had a nice chat today. Heck of a nice guy, COO at a tech company. Told him to start by asking the contractor if they have filters they can install (can’t hurt to try, right?) and he got right on the phone to them as I was leaving. Sent him the April 2016 QST article to forward to them.

Most incredible thing: He’s willing to have them remove the entire system if they can’t resolve the RFI! But, he wants to know if there exists an RFI-quiet system *with panel optimizers*.  Can’t say I’ve heard of one, but maybe someone on this reflector knows.

Gary NA6O