[RFI] What would cause noise like this?

Frank O'Donnell vfo at inkbox.net
Fri Nov 1 19:25:30 EDT 2019

Hi all, new to this list, hoping to learn enough to chase down some of
my yet-unsolved RFI issues.

As a start, I'm wondering if the way that RFI I saw the other morning
appeared in the receiver's waterfall might suggest anything about what
the source of noise could be.

Here are two brief video clips from SDR Console, displaying a waterfall
covering the LF/MF spectrum with input from an Elad FDM-S2 SDR and
broadband vertical antenna.

The first clip is at 6:08 a.m. PDT, exactly one hour before local sunrise:

https://vimeo.com/370416556/e3cf9bcb09

At 00:23 of that clip, a pattern of heavy RFI starts, with lines in the
waterfall spaced ~16 kHz apart (approx 6 lines per 100 kHz).

A couple of minutes later, I noticed that the RFI started toggling, with
the pattern changing for a second or two, and then the RFI disappearing
briefly before restarting. In the following clip this pattern starts at
00:09:

https://vimeo.com/370418392/afb0a0c4ef

Any thoughts? We live in a suburban neighborhood where lots are all
approx 50 x 200 feet. There are at least two houses with solar panels
within ~200 feet of us, and more down the block. I gather that RFI from
solar panels can vary, based on the type of system and the deficiency
responsible for the RFI. Do these clips show any kind of visual
signature that might suggest the source?

Thanks and 73,

Frank K6FOD