[RFI] CO detector advice

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 8 12:31:12 EST 2019

"It was perhaps better at detecting RF, but I digress. Anyhow, it was a
nuisance taking it out to the Garage when I wanted to play radio. I
recall discussions in here about CO detectors that weren’t so
susceptible to RF tripping them, does anyone know the makes and models?"

Taking to the garage, suggests portable, and battery operated.  I have
used several models of battery operated CO detectors made by Kidde,
since the late 90's, and not had an issue with RF to 100W on HF within a
few tens of feet, with various antennas, vertical, dipole, and inverted
V's, voice, and digital, VHF, or UHF up to 50W within a few tens of
feet, and regularly 5 - 7 Watts, at VHF, and UHF, within around 12" from
HT's with various antennas ranging from stubby, to about 18" in length,
the "high gain" type.

The current round of Kidde CO monitors in use here, are the battery
operated KN-COB-LP2.  I have three, all purchased from WalMart.  I have
not had issues with this model.  Cost was around $20 each.

Kurt