[RFI] Monitor hash

N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Sat Nov 9 21:18:28 EST 2019

I have two Asus 27" LCD monitors, one of which I have had for a while;
the other is new.  Today I was getting organized for a little noise
research and had my portable SW radio on the desk right in front of the
monitors.  Wow, what a lot of hash (on AM).  Then I moved it closer to
the two screens, and the noise increased dramatically.  18 inches away
there's nothing noticeable, but in close the hash is backed up by a
high-pitched tone, which I'm guessing has something to do with the sweep
frequency.  The funny thing is that they do not appear to affect RX
noise levels on my K3, all the way from 1700 KHz  to 21 MHz. I know that
my station isn't wonderfully choked against common mode currents, but my
impression is that this noise is no harm, no foul. Opinions?

   --

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network