[RFI] Spectrum Cable Boxes

wa2lbi at gmail.com wa2lbi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 20:38:55 EDT 2019

Tony,I have a Spectrum cable/DVR box in the room directly above the shack.  My 75 meter dipole is about 30' away and only 20' or so high.  The multi band dipole is about 50' from the house at the same height.  Running 500w doesn't seem to cause any problems with the Spectrum box.  BTW, there is also a 2 port amp in front of the Spectrum box.  After the bix was first installed I had a problem and traced it to two causes.  First, a bad cable and second, loose connectors.  Replacing the bad jumper and tightening ALL connections in the system fixed the problem.  Gl!Ken WA2LBI LG G6 ------ Original message------From: Anthony (N2KI)Date: Thu, Oct 10, 2019 19:55To: rfi at contesting.com;Cc: Subject:[RFI] Spectrum Cable BoxesHello folks,

Anyone on here have experience RF shielding a Spectrum Cable box?  I have
tried all sorts of RF chokes (Material 31 1-300mHz) on the power, HDMI and
coax inputs with very little success.  Pretty much any band wipes out the
cable boxes.  Its not a proximity
 effect to the antenna as the 80 meter
antenna is at 80 feet and about 50 feet away from the house.  Also, I must
point out that the previous cable boxes did not have these issues.  So I am
fairly confident this is an RF shielding/filtering issue with the boxes.
In speaking with Spectrum, I could not reach anyone in a technical
department that has RFI experience. Next step and test is wrapping the
boxes with aluminum foil, or cutting the cord.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,

Anthony (N2KI)