[RFI] Spectrum Cable Boxes

James Gordon Beattie Jr w2ttt at att.net
Fri Oct 11 09:11:43 EDT 2019

Jim,

Try running the cable box from a battery and isolated from the power grid.  There may be a switched mode power supply on that device or another one on another customer that is creating and conducting the noise.  Also, do this with no other cables connected to the cable box and first add the hdmi, then the cable feed.

73,

Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

201.314.6964

Get Outlook for Android

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 11:36 PM -0400, "Jim Brown" <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

On 10/10/2019 4:54 PM, Anthony (N2KI) wrote:
> So I am
> fairly confident this is an RF shielding/filtering issue with the boxes.
> In speaking with Spectrum, I could not reach anyone in a technical
> department that has RFI experience.

You're paying them, tell them to give you a box that works or cancel
your subscription.

If you still want to do it yourself, follow the guidelines in the app
notes about killing noise and the new HF choke cookbook. These chokes
MUST be multiple turns on #31 toroids, or through #31 clamp-ons. They
must go on every cable in and out of the box.

73, Jim K9YC